Monday, November 3, 2014

Back to THE FUTURE, phenomenology i Norge and the many moods of a boot




Then I began, as though  I had never seen my shoes before, to study their expression, their mime-like movements when I moved my toes, their shape, and the worn-out leather they had; and I discovered that their wrinkles and their white seams gave them an expression, provided them with a face.   Something of my own being had gone over into these shoes they struck me as being, a ghost of my “I,” A breathing part of myself.- Knut Hamsun, Hunger 1890....





I am writing a paper on Phenomenology and its role in the 
development of a specific Architectural quality within northern latitudes.  In this work I am also borrowing from my reading of one of the first modern novelists, the Norwegian Knut Hamsun.  This particular passage regarding a resonance between artifact and human nature just NOW reminded me of a drawing I did all the way  back in 2011.  Now I can firmly match the lines and words together.  This passage reaches much farther than the protagonist's impression of his footwear, but then again it is also about shoes. I was drawing these boots over and over again while on the Fishing Vessel Mt. Royal in South East Alaska.  In there various states of rigor its not impossible to read more than rubber seam, and while you may not be able to empathize with them as objects, perhaps their look might be able to smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment